Monday, December 20, 2010

The Rain

Today is a new day. Some might say today is the beginning of the rest of my life.
Now what? Lulu is asleep passed out on the couch. Don't worry for those of you that are new to my stories. She's not my 65 year old alcoholic aunt in for the holidays or anything. Worse, it's my 3 year old daughter.
I'm in my robe. It's 1:30....pm. So this is what people who don't work do? Sit on their computers and hangout in their bathrobes all day? Hmmm maybe I could get used to this.
For some reason today the grey has lifted. It is rainy and awfully stormy outside and yet I feel sunny and excited on the inside. Is this because secretly I am a super dark person? I think so. Others are mopey and depressed on rainy days. Not me. I get to hang out in my pajamas all day and watch tv. Two of my all time favorite pastimes. My husband thinks I'm crazy for this, but I don't care. Obviously, you should see my outfit and the state of my house.
I'm pretty sure I have not brushed my teeth yet or even looked in a mirror for that matter.
But still, I love it.
I went into early "retirement" on Saturday. I use quotes around the word retirement because as a mom you're never really technically retired, are you. The only difference is now there are no lunch breaks, alone time, bonuses or paid vacations. Or pay at all for that matter. Instead I will be clocked in all hours of the day, night and rest of my life. No sneaking away to have lunch with grown ups and getting to play dress up in my fancy clothes.
Hello yoga pants is all I can hear the tape playing in my head say.
The pile of dishes in the sink grows and grows as I sit here typing. My priority list just got shorter.
To Do Today:
1) let the house get totally unkempt-check
2) watch tv for hours on end-check
3)do not remove bathrobe until at least 2pm-check
4)think about all the cleaning I have to do-check
5)think some more about the grocery shopping that needs to be done-check
6)just think about said items on list and not actually do any of them-check

Yep, that looks about right.
Now that I am let's say semi-retired, I think I will have time to focus on my writing, exercise and family. 3 things that at some point in time inevitably fall by the wayside due to well, life. I will have time to chase after Lulu as she runs screaming from me. And in doing so will naturally get my exercise in that way. Now if only I can somehow incorporate writing into the mix, my three birds will be shot down BANG, with one giant ambitious stone.
I've got high hopes for myself now that I'm "retired." I might even start taking showers everyday. I don't know. I know it sounds crazy and you are thinking to yourself, Anna, but how? And well I will just sit back in my chair, laugh to myself and then tell you, it's the rain that keeps me motivated.



1 comment:

aa said...

dont wait another year to write again